Sunday 2 September 2012

Eugenia Falls.

Since this weekend is the Labour Day weekend here in Canada, I thought to myself that this would be the perfect time to do my first adventure. I sat back and thought where I would like to go and when I couldn’t decide, I pulled out one of my many travel books.  The book I happened to grab was Frommers “500 places to see before they disappear”.  As I read through it, I found lots of places I would love to go and explore. However they were all in places that I couldn’t get to without spending a lot of money or flying to another country.  Then I remembered that there is one place that I have been to a few times but would love to explore even more.  The place that I am referring to Eugenia Falls, in the small town of Eugenia, just north of Flesherton, Ont.
 Location and brief History:
 *The information that I have supplied is to the best of my knowledge and I have researched it on- line and may not necessarily be accurate*
Eugenia is located on Grey Road 13 just north of Highway 4; Eugenia Falls water source is the Beaver River, and is the 2nd highest waterfall in Ontario with Niagara Falls being the first.  It is approx. 2 hours north Toronto and 1 hour and 45 minutes north of Kitchener/Waterloo.
           The town of Eugenia was settled in 1850, and was named after NapolĂ©on the 3rd wife Princess Eugenia. 1852 the town of Eugenia had some short lived excitement, when a  local farmer was walking in the bush near his farm he heard the rush of water; he continued to walk toward the sound to come across something he was not expecting to see, a 90 foot waterfall.   That night he told his tale to his neighbour, and the men decided that they would go back the next day. While the men were at the base of the waterfall, they noticed that there were gold lines running through parts of the cliff, and the men thought it was gold. Thus began Eugenia Gold Rush. Many men and women came to Eugenia to stake their claim, but just as quickly as the Gold Rush started it ended, for what the men had discovered was fool’s gold. The town on Eugenia has a festival every summer with markets, classic car shows, live music and many other activities for the whole family to enjoy, celebrating the Gold Rush Days of 1852 and 1853.

Click here for more information about Eugenia Falls and area.

           Well that’s enough about the local history; on with my adventure.  I must let every reader know that every time I go out I let someone know where I will be going, I dress for the weather and location and I take a backpack with me; with water, trail mix, waterproof matches, a waterproof jacket, a compass, a flashlight, a first aid kit and of course my cell phone which is equipped with a GPS location device.
After lunch on Saturday September 1, I prepared my backpack, told someone where I was going and when I was expected to return (safety first), and grabbed my camera.  When I was just about to leave I received a surprise text message from my close friend Misty wondering what I was up to. I told her I was about to go on a little hike to Eugenia Falls and she was more than welcome to join me.  Misty decided she would, and I put in a couple of more bottles of water and went to pick up my friend. This was perfect because it gave Misty and I time to catch up.  Shortly after arriving at Eugenia Falls, Misty told me that she had never been there before, and I found that shocking. Misty and her mom both belong to the Girl Guides and I just guessed that the Girl Guides would have visited this park.  I was so happy explore this conservation area with someone that had never been, it made it that much more of an adventure. Eugenia Falls Conservation area has several hiking trails you can follow; however there is a stone barrier approx. 3 feet high to discourage people from going to close to the edge and falling over.  When we got to the main trail we decided that we would take the trail to the right. This to me was exciting I have never gone that way before. I always took the trail to the left going down the river, to the main look out to get good views of the falls.
              Misty and I walked we came across a clearing with an old stone structure. It was crumbling and had been vandalized with spray paint. This structure was one story and was about 20x20; my curiosity got the better of me and I carefully went in and looked around, there were no doors, no windows left and one big room.  The floor appeared to be stone laid on top of the ground with no basement – thank goodness I knew I wasn’t going to fall through and get hurt. The ceiling beams are made from wood and appeared to be the originals and were beginning to rot and fall down.  In one corner someone had lit a campfire for there was charred wood in a pile with broken beer bottles all over the place. Misty and I looked at one another laughed and said “someone had a party.”
 We then crossed over the Beaver River and started to take the trail on the other side of the falls. We walked just a few yards and we found one of the long forgotten tunnels at the falls. I’m not too sure what the reason for the tunnels were, but they were man made from stone from area. But I do remember reading about them in one of my books, and there are several other tunnels in the area that have long since collapsed. We wanted to follow the trail further to see if we could see any more of the tunnels, it was getting late and I wanted to show Misty the look-out point so she could see just how grand the falls were.  As we started back down the trail to the falls we crossed much closer to the top of the falls. We were able to cross quite easy because the water was low and the rocks were dry.  Since there is no bridge across the Beaver River at the falls this is discouraged by law enforcement. *I do not recommend or suggest that it be done, for you take your life in your hands, and accidents can and do happen*; although Misty and I crossed without any problems.
 After getting back on the main trail we proceeded down river towards the look-out. The trail down river is rocky and can be slippery; when the trails were made they didn’t take the rocks out. It was left as it was found only removing the fallen and dead trees.  The views are amazing, even on a cloudy day you can see for miles. After a short walk we arrived at the lookout. It was beautiful.
 
The falls are not as big as they use to be, because the water flow is controlled by a dam further upstream.  The dam is opened up in the spring for a few weeks only to be closed in the summer months. Fast or slow the Eugenia falls is simply beautiful and inspiring.  At the car park there is a little picnic spot, a pavilion, with outdoor washrooms, and the local cenotaph.

Although the main tourist attractions now are the ski hills of Blue Mountain and Beaver Valley in the winter and Eugenia Lake for the fishers and cottagers in the summer; The Eugenia Falls Conservation area is an amazing little gem hidden along the Bruce Trail and well worth a visit.



About Niagara Escarpment 
Information about the area

             
Jack & Jill Outhouses
Old 



Lost Tunnel at the Falls


            
The walk back to the car.





3 comments:

  1. Well Mary you taught me something new!!! I have been to Eugina numerous times and I have never seen those tunnels, needless to say I will be making a return trip :-)
    Jenn Riddall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Mary. I live in Eugenia and have enjoyed the falls many times (spring high water flow is best for pictures). You may wish to check out the lesser known Hoggs falls down the valley. It's a short hike but worth it (watch your footing) also I recommend seeing the view from Mount Baldy lookout (only 5 min drive from Eugenia. I can provide you with more details. Enjoy your next visit to our quant little village.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Paul. I will be heading to Hoggs falls this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. I am long over do for a nice relaxing hike in the country, and I know that Hoggs Falls is the right place to go.

      Delete